Here’s a pineapple recipe that presents a twist on the classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
-2 cans (20 oz. each)
-Dole pineapple slices
-1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
-2/3 cup packed brown sugar
-9 maraschino cherries, cut in half
-1 package (18.25 oz.) yellow or pineapple-flavoured cake mix
- Drain pineapple and reserve the juice. Reserve 2 pineapple slices for later.
- Stir together melted butter and brown sugar. Next divide this sugar mixture into 18 (2/3 cup*) muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Press well-drained pineapple slices into sugar mixture very lightly. Lastly, place cherries in centre of pineapple, ensuring the sliced side is up.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions, replacing amount of water called for with reserved juice. Then pour 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350° F. For 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre pops out.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and place onto the cookie sheets.
- If muffin cup is smaller than 2/3 cup, it will not be large enough to hold pineapple slice and batter.